Monday, May 23, 2005

From Tina

Tina sent me this and I thought I should share because it made me feel good:

I've been a little down lately, but I did a good thing today. My mother's birthday is Monday and she turns 75, but she's still in the nursing home. We sent a check so she could get her hair cut and colored and get a manicure earlier in the week, and today we came in with all sorts of gifts. But my most inspired move seemed to be walking in with a sheet cake big enough to feed all the people in her wing. Chocolate....with buttercream frosting....and it was really good. I checked with the nurses because I didn't want to give anyone anything that might kill them or cause an allergic reaction or anything, and they helped me set up a room so we could have a party. If you want to see 70 and 80 and 90 year olds turn back into little kids again...show up with a birthday cake.

One of the nurses said to me later "You did a good thing here today. I saw a man who's refused to eat for two weeks so that we've had to use a feeding tube l ight up and dig into that chocolate cake. In many ways, this was better therapy for them all than we can give them." It definitely seemed to perk my mother up, and I made friends and introduced them to her. She's not the type to make friends, I don't know where I got my friendly side....my grandfather maybe, he was a likeable fellow.

It was bittersweet, I was reminded of the shows I used to volunteer to do at nursing homes and veteran's hospitals. I was so full of cheer for them, but I wound up crying later every single time because of the things I'd seen. At least I didn't cry today, it seemed to pick me up as much as them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

Sojourning crow,

To see a face light up with renewed life is a special thing, to see a whole wing full of people light up with renewed life is simply wonderful.

Thanks for the link, I will do my best to honor you kindness with an honest writing of my search for truth. May I link you?

7:18 PM  
Blogger Footprint said...

CHRIS: Sure man, thanks.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home